How to Help a Friend

IF AN EMERGENCY: If you are concerned about the immediate well-being of a friend or peer on the Hollins University campus or have an emergency, call campus security at 540-362-6911.  For other campus concerns and non-emergencies call 540-362-6419. Campus security is available 24/7 to assist. Additionally, Housing and Residence Life staff are on-call to assist students and can be accessed through Campus Security.

When you’re concerned about someone  who needs support it can be difficult to know the best way to help. Many people who struggle with health and safety issues say that talking with their friends helped them to seek professional help and gain better control.

*Checking in with a student you’re concerned about can be very supportive. Offer a listening ear.
*Encourage and help them seek out an RA or Residence Life Staff as these individuals are trained and know campus resources.
*Perhaps offer to help them access resources. Visit the Health and Counseling website for information and hours. Offer to go with them if that would make it easier to schedule or meet with someone. *Remind them that it’s okay to ask for help and that free counseling sessions are available to all students.

We can be a source of compassion and strength when someone is in distress or feeling vulnerable, and help is available.