Recommendations for Assisting Students

The Hollins University faculty and staff have contact with our students in their daily college life. They are in an excellent position to be aware of a student who may need additional assistance.

If you are concerned about a student we suggest:

  • Make sure the student is aware of the availability of resources on campus and how to access them.
  • Reassure the student that it’s okay to ask for help.
  • If faculty or staff would like to talk with one of the counselors call the Health and Counseling Services (X6444) and request a telephone or meeting consultation regarding a student of concern.
  • Reporting concerns to the Dean of Students, Academic Dean or the Director of Residence Life brings the student to the awareness of the ”Care Team” that pro-actively coordinates appropriate resources and supports for students. If the student’s behaviors are of significant concern, reporting to one of the above staff can assist the student in accessing additional resources as quickly as needed.
  • We welcome faculty and staff accompanying a student to make an appointment with Health and Counseling Services or attending a consultation if the student requests this assistance.